""Lori S Carter"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Dug through the archives and found very little on setting up
> Token Ring in a home lab. I'm still confused. How is this done?
> Any good sites that I can go to find out this information?
>
> Among other equipment, I've got an SMC MAU, a Token Ring
> NIC installed in a PC, DB-9 to RJ45 media filter, and a
> 2504. What type of cable do I need between the media filter
> on the router and the MAU? I know it's not a standard Cat 5
> cable because Token Ring uses different pins than Ethernet.

Pinouts matter not, as long as all 8 wires go all the way through (I have
seen some cheap Ethernet cables with only 2 pair). Standard Cat5
straight-through cable is just fine.

>What about the cable between the PC and the MAU?
> The NIC card can handle either RJ-45 or DB-9.

Same thing - Cat5 straight-through. Depending on the card, you may have to
pick the RJ-45 or DB-9 via a driver setting, via a NIC config program, or
with a jumper. Most of the new ones will.

> On the MAU, there are two ports that are labeled RO and RI
> with small push button switches next to them to enable or disable
> "wrap". What are these for?

This allows you to connect to another MAU and have the ring go between them
(Ethernet usually calls this 'stacking'). I'm not familiar with SMC MAUs per
se, but you don't want the MAU to try and send the ring out, nor expect to
see one come in. If it tries, and there is no connection to bring it back,
the MAU will just push the token out of that port, and then you'll end up
with them all over the floor :-). Thus the ring is broken and no stations
will connect. I would *guess* you would want to "enable" wrap, and not plug
anything into these ports. My reasoning is that the term "wrap" means for
the RI/RO ports to wrap the ring back on themselves.

If you get everything else set up, but you just cannot connect into the
ring, try changing the wrap switches. Also, if this happens, try to set
everything for 4Mbps instead of 16, since there are some MAUs that just
don't like 16 even if they say they do.

Except for the RI/RO ports, and the different connectors you run into
periodically, token ring is pretty much the same as Ethernet for setting up
layer 1.

---JRE---