Adam

I was able to figure out how to get it to work. I did have PAP configured on
both routers.
Username R1 was configured on R2
and username R2 was configured on R1
Both had the same password "cisco"

Debug ppp auth gave absolutely no clue why it wasnt working..
Then I ran "debug ppp negotiation" and found that there was a line which
said "remote site failed to authenticate"..
Did some digging up on the DOC CD and with the help of Jim Dixon who
responded to my call for help,
I added a line "ppp pap sent-username R1 password 0 cisco" to R1
and a line "ppp pap sent-username R2 password 0 cisco" to R2
That did the trick.

With exactly the same config and with CHAP, it was working correctly. The
moment I changed it to PAP on both routers, authentication failed. According
to my understanding, PAP is just sending cleartext. So why did I have to add
the line
"ppp pap sent-username". I am still not clear about this.
Any ideas?