google rocks ,)

a quick search for "tcp port 1761" brought up the following:

:Remote Control uses TCP port 1761 on remote Admin consoles
:When I use Remote Control from the site server, the server tries contacting the
:remote control agent on the client with the TCP port 2701 and it's OK. But from a
:Helpdesk MMC, the workstation tries to connect using TCP port 1761 and the connection
:fails?
:
:One of the big changes in SP2 is that the ports Remote control uses have been
:changed. Prior to SP2, Remote Control uses TCP ports 1761-1764 which weren't
:registered for use by SMS. In SP2, ports 2701-2704 have been registered for use by
:SMS hence the change. You can use an SP2 Admin console to Remote Control both SP2 and
:SP1 clients (it tries 2701-2704 first, then tries 1761-1764 if this fails). However
:you CAN'T use a SP1 Admin console to Remote Control an SP2 client.
:
:When you upgrade to SP2, ONLY the Admin console on the site server is upgraded at the
:same time. All remote Admin consoles need to be updated individually.

Could it be that the hosts are winnt workstations with an installed Microsoft
System Management Server Client ?

hth

Reinhold

--
Reinhold Fischer                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CCNP-Security/SunCSA/HP Certified Consultant for Network Management

Keith Wood wrote:

Any idea what exactly these ports are used for?  I know they are for cft-0
and cft-1.  What is CFT?  All the RFC gives me is a name and number (no
descriptions), but as it is Christmas I wont call this number untill in the
New Year - I am just curious in the meantime so if anyone knows the answer I
would appreciate it.

I am asking as I have just started reading on the subject of security, and a
port-scan of the network shows a lot of machines with these 2 ports
active...

Keith ;-)