>> I was told Cisco was trying to reduce the problem, but not how they were
going to achieve their goal. (I wish them luck)<<

some cruel and unusual thoughts come to mind.

1) Set some arbitrary standard such that people who fail day one by more
than so many points have a 90 day wait for retest, rather than 30 days. Or
you have to at least made it into day 2 to be able to retest within 30 days.
Some such thing

2) Limit the number of times one may attempt the lab in any 12 month period.

3) Increase the price charged for each lab attempt. E.g. 1K for first
attempt, 2K for 2nd, 5K for third

I say this half jokingly, but half seriously. I talk to a lot of people who
take the lab, both those who have passed and those who have not.
The old rule of economics holds true - people act according to their
perceived best interest. If someone else is footing the bill, and there is
no disincentive for failure, then people will act accordingly. They will
book themselves and make attempts even when they know they have no hope of
passing. They will schedule attempt after attempt because there is no reason
not to, especially if someone else pays, and especially if there is no
penalty for failure.

To be frank, I don't see any incentive for Cisco to do anything to change
things on the demand side. They might add more racks, or more lab locations.
But do the numbers some time. Cisco is booking something like 25 - 30 people
a week in San Jose alone. That's 25-30 K per week in revenue, or at least
1.3 million a year. So they pay a couple of lab proctors 150K each. The rest
is pure profit. ( yes, I know from an accounting standpoint there are
several other cost factors ) So the incentive from Cisco's standpoint is do
figure out ways to add revenue, rather than limit testing attempts.

I look for Cisco to announce a bit more capacity, either in terms of adding
another location or adding more racks at existing locations. Or both. There
is a ton of money to be made in the certification game, and as the entity
that controls the rules and the market, Cisco certainly enjoys the lion's
share of that revenue.

Chuck