Hi,

This comes up occasionally.  I don't understand why access lists are not put in place
to allow you to ping out but not allow "echo reply" from your site.  Also why not
allow sessions you have established.  ie access-list ## permit ip any any established
or similar.

Often the reasons for doing this is to cut down on WAN charges.  The best way to avoid
these is the use of local proxies and force all to use the proxy via an access list.

Ping and Telnet do not usually cause a problem.  Ping attacks are a fear shutting down
services not initiated by youself can overcome these issues.

I have found the use of ping highly desirable if not necessary when trouble shooting
WAN and WEB problems.  The problems have included incorrect default gateway settings
to Telco failures.  A number of products also use ping packets to do trace routes so
your management could indeed be creating a lot of hassel for themselves.

I often Telnet to sockets when testing remote sites for example to port 25 to test a
mail problem or port 80 to check a WEB server is up.  This often varifies DNS,
addressing and server setup issues.  This is valid testing when looking at computer
communications.

Hope this helps

Teunis,
Hobart, Tasmania