I believe if you can't ping, then you should be able to do traceroutes too.
these 2 tools are one of the most essential tools you need to troubleshoot
network connectivity.

As far as telnet goes, tell them you need to use this tool in case you need
to test connectivity besides connecting to Telnet daemons such as SMTP,
POP3, IMAP4, LDAP...