>Ray,
>
>I think there is a misunderstanding. What he said was non alphanumeric
>(something other that letters and numbers).
>What I think he means is characters such as !@#$%^&*(), and others.
>Alphabetic characters, numbers, and especially mixed case are very much
>recommended for security, BUT, I can understand the problems associated with
>a user not remembering that he had the 3rd letter of his cat's name
>capitalized.
>
>My $ 0.02
>
>Brad

Hope it's not getting too far afield, but there are some tricks for
getting strong but memorable passwords.

The passphrase is good.  Remember some natural-language phrase such as

      "Ciscos that aren't fish aren't kosher"

and use the first two letters of each word, capitalizing the first:

      CiThArFiArKo

or even only capitalize the letters that normally would be capitalized:

     "John Chambers, router jockey"

     JoCarojo

You can strengthen any of these, assuming the strings are varying
length, by splitting the passphrase into two and putting one or more
numeric digits at the center. Passwords with numbers at the beginning
or end are a bit easier to guess.

There are other tricks that could work with specific people.  Without
getting specific, my personal passwords come from a background in
biochemistry, and tend to be formulas with deliberate errors in them.

The Department of Defense/NSA password management guide at
http://www.fas.org/irp/nsa/rainbow/std002.htm is quite well written
and gives insights into the relative strength of passwords.