Yes, I have experienced this several times.  It is the dreaded
Catalyst switch who thinks it is talking to a modem :-)  Here
are my recommended fixes in this order:

1.  Get a known good black console cable.  Get several.  Try
each one out and see if any will get the console to come up
other than ATQ commands.

2. Change out your DB-9 to RJ-45 converters with others that
are known/good.  See if that works.

3.  Finally, and lastly, change out to other COM ports/other PC
COM ports to see if that will help.  In the three times I had
this scenario, only once did I have to go to step 3.
Obviously, it goes without saying that you need to ensure you
have the correct COM port settings(9600,8,N,1,) particularly
with flow control turned *off*.

4.  If all else fails, upgrade the firmware to something
older/newer (experiment here).  Yes, I know it is fun sucking a
1MB image through a 9600bps line, but that's what a cup of
coffee is for 8-)

5.  If this one is so old that it has one of those DB-9 console
connectors on the back of the switch (vice the newer RJ-45),
you may need to order Cisco's OEM console cable for that box,
or you will need to build a null modem cable as specced out
here (watch wrap):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/192
8v5x/icg5x/csspec.htm#41267

You are on the right track if you can access the diagnostic
console.  Lastly, strongly resist the temptation to throw the
switch against the wall.  It may be needed for an RMA:-)

Best of luck,

Paul Werner

> Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:45:17 -0500
> From: "Jon O'Nan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: ATQ0H0
>
> I've been working with an older Catalyst 1900 switch
(firmware ver 5.37)