It's probably a cable problem.  Following are pinouts for cable I
constructed to connect to old 1924 and 2820 with DB-9 connectors using
HyperTerminal.

DCD  1 - 8 CTS 7 and 8 connected
                 7 RTS
RxD    2 -  3 TxD
TxD    3 -  2 RxD
            4                 No connection
 Gnd  5  - 5 Gnd
 RTS 7  - 1 DCD
 CTS 8                  7 and 8 connected
          9                   No connection

David