You can set all switchs as domain server or elect one core switch as server and others
as clien. Just do set vtp domain 'name' command on each switch. You don't to do
anything else. The valn name is just like an alias, it doesn't affect the functinality.
You can not mannual change the VTP revision unless you reboot a VTP server switch.

Hope it helps,

Ming

Wonkyu Lee wrote:

> HI All,
>
> The place where I'm working at right now has several vlans and trunking.
> However, from the beginning, no one turned on the VTP Domain. So whenever I
> put a new switch into the existing LAN, and setting up a vlan and trunking,
> I have to add them manually. So I'm thinking I'm enabling the VTP domain on
> all switches. We have 5500, 5002s, 2900XLs, 3500XLs.
>
> So here goes my question..
>
> What is the procedure to enable the domain feature ?
> I know the CLI how to do it, but what should I beware of before I do it?
> What will happen when the vtp starts to advertising its vlan database to
> client switches, which have already all the infos stored in manually?
> Some vlans have their name on one switch(ex, TECH), but the others
> don't(vlan13)
> and would it be a problem ?
> Can i change a VTP revision number manually?
>
> Wonkyu Lee

      |           |        Mingzhou Nie
     :|:         :|:       Customer Support Engineer
.:|||||||||:.:|||||||||:.  Tel/Fax: 919.392.4732
 C i s c o S y s t e m s   Email:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]