PacBell internet gives each cus a single IP from a class C, with
255.255.255.0 mask and reserves the .254 as the gateway for all the
customers on that C.

Obviously this is for single IP customers

For Enhanced it's blocks of 8, one network, one gateway, 5 usable and one
broadcast, .248 mask
so thats 32 blocks of 8 per class C

You can oversubscribe, but how much I dont know