It is unfortunate that there are people that skim by these exams just for
the sake of certification. But it is also important to remember people that
are trying to get into the field. I am not saying just because you have
certification X means you should make X amount of dollars, or expect job X.
I have heard many horror stories of companies hiring MCSE certified people
whom could not even format a disk. But for many people, such as myself it
was a place to start. Lets be realistic here, nobody was born with the
knowledge and everyone had to learn it at some point.

The damage to certifications was quite evident when I completed my MCSE 1
1/2 years ago, at the time I was doing Desktop support with some server
work in a large network. I was not even expecting to get a high paying job,
just looking for a place to increase my skills and it was next to
impossible. Once I took MCSE off my resume I had better luck finding a job,
just with the 1 year experi.

It is disappointing to someone like myself whom is in the middle. I have
been working with Cisco equipment now for 2 years, 1 year in depth. So I do
have some experience with it. Most available jobs I have seen thus far are
entry level(I would be bored stiff) or Senior Level(I am not ready for
yet). I just recently completed my CCNP + Security certifications. I do not
by any means feel that I am a Cisco god, but I am much better off for going
through the program. I have learned a great deal in the last year while
completing the CCNP. I think lost in all of the arguments over
certification is the most important thing of all. That if you do it right,
you actually learn a great deal and I am sure that was what was the initial
intent of all certifications.

Sorry for the Rant,

-Eric Gunn