Well, you could do either actually.  With an unconnected network you could
use private addresses (unregistered) or you could use registered addresses
(in fact you could use someone elses registered addresses but I wouldn't
recommend it).  With a connected network you could also use either private
or registered, the difference would be that if you use private addresses
you would have to have NAT (network address translation) running on your
border router which will convert your private addresses to public
registered ones.