For a service provider, all management workstations have to use real address
even though they sit inside the network. Otherwise you have the risk of
conflicting ip addresses with the customers.

A bad example, Newbridge vivid switch uses 10/8 address for their in-band
communciation and assume that users will never use 10/8 to management their
switch. The result -- you can't set the ip address of vivid switch to 10/8.

Cheers,