I think a better analogy would be if the first station was creating parts
too fast for the second station, and the bloke at the second station tells
the bloke at the first station 'slow down' (the BECN), and also tells the
bloke at the *third* station 'I'm run off my feet here' (the FECN).  The
bloke at the third station can then either say 'too bad' (which is I
believe what happens in most frame relay implementations), or can, at least
in theory, take some appropriate action (reduce the first station's coffee
ration, perhaps?  Have a tea break?)
I'm not aware of any common action taken by equipment receiving a FECN.
Theoretically the notification could be passed up to higher layers and
action could be taken there (e.g. adjusting window sizes), but I don't
believe this is recommended (others can no doubt give chapter and verse on
why, but I believe it basically comes down to the cure being worse than the
disease).

JMcL
---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 11/01/2001

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@groupstudy.com on 10/01/2001 03:54:29 pm