Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find information regarding SPD and am having a heck of
time.  Here is what I've found so regarding SPD (selective packet discard):

Selective Packet Discard
-----------------------------
When in severe overload conditions, routers that cannot keep up with the
incoming packet stream must drop packets. If no intelligence is applied to
choosing which ones to discard, this will impact the stability of routing
protocols. This feature applies some simple choices to selectively discard
packets likely to be unimportant for routing and interface stability. SPD
is enabled by default; there are no commands or configuration tasks required.

The problem I have is that if I wanted to disable SPD (not that I'm
suggesting you would want to) how would you go about doing it?  I can't
find any commands or documentation indicating how to do so.  The only
documentation I've been able to dredge up is about configuring spd for
aggressive mode (allows a router to drop all packets that fail sanity
check, bad checksums, bad ttl, etc.).  Even then I can't seem to find an
IOS that allows me to do so.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone seen or used SPD and if so, under what circumstances?
2) What IOS version?
3) Is there a successor to SPD?
4) How come we don't hear about it more often?

Thanks everyone,
AQ