Chuck ,

I agree that if you don't have an input buffer you
simply drop the packet . This is so with a router and
this is so with a switch . You can use any queueing
mechanisme you like but in the end if you have no
buffers you drop the packet .

In  the thread someone came up with the existence of
'pause' frames . This is actually an annex to the
gigabit spec that defines a means of flow control by
using those pause frames . Like an send/no send
mechanisme . Certainly not all hardware in the Cisco
switches and available NIC's supports this mechanisme.
This is gigabit , the original pause was about 100Mb.
Is this 'pause' frame also implemented on 100Mb links
?

Besides if you think of it ;

PC/100MB ==== switch ==== 10Mb

Lets consider a point to point links between PC and
switch.
The switch can handle the 100Mb comming from the PC.
The switch is capable of switching the 100Mb stream to
the 10Mb port . So the output buffers on the 10Mb
switch port are suffering , in keeping up with the
traffic coming from the 100Mb port.
So were do you drop the packets ?? On the output queue
at the 10Mb port . This makes it more difficult to
implement the pause mechanisme on the 100Mb port .
Infact the 10Mb should signal the 100Mb port that it
cannot handle the packets otherwise the 100Mb port
will never know and never send a pause frame to begin
with .
Imaging now that there are other ports switching
frames to the same 10Mb port . What to do now ?

Pc1 100Mb====switch ====10Mb
Pc2 100Mb====

Lets say PC1 one is streaming like hell to the 10Mb
port . Lets say Pc2 behaves and is sending packets in
a moderate fashion to the 10Mb port .
How to implement the 'pause frame' mechanisme ?

Real live switch is immense more complicated than the
senarios above .

This 'pause' thing makes sense if you have a one to
one connection with similar speeds . I fail to see how
this mechanisme can solve the 100Mb---10Mb buffer
problem .
I do not think that is was indendent to solve this
type of problems in the first place .

Thats what I make of it ,
flem

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/z/public/presentations/jan1997/HFpsbits