--- Chuck Larrieu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Besides which. Isn't 802.3Z gigabit? Not relevant to
> most switches or switch
> ports?

It is gigabit ethernet but there are annex that
specify this kind of flow control . I would say that
gigabit ethernet is *only* relevant for trunk ports on
switches and high speed routers .

>Certainly not to the question of a fast port
> sending data to a slow
> port.

Nope . Queuing is extremely difficult and congestion
on switches involves more than sending a few pause
packets to end stations.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/z/public/presentations/jan1997/HFpsbits

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sft_6_1/configgd