http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/103/eigrp1.html

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Phil Barker
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 11:59 AM
To: cisco GroupStudy
Subject: CertificationZone White Paper EIGRP ?

I'm having trouble with the equation referenced on
page 5 (A4) concerning the metric calculation.
Ref Don Dettmore.

If this equation is correct as it stands and
K2=K4=K5=0
Then the Right Side of the equation will be 0, which
when multiplied by whatever on the left side will
equal 0. i.e metric = 0. I'm guessing a little that
these two sides should be added together not
multiplied ? Can anyone verify this ?

I've cross checked this with Ivan Pepelnjak' book on
EIGRP. Chapter 1, Page 10 "Computing a Composite
Metric" appears to verify that the White Paper is
CORRECT. They both suggest that if K5 = 0 then the
Composite Metric = 0 ???

Ivan also suggests that if all K-Values are set to
zero then the composite metric is always 1 ?

Wether or not you add or multiply both sides together
the composite metric will = 0.

Anyway, there is also a typo below 108 should read
10^8

>>SNIP
This differs from the bandwidth usage in OSPF, in
which route cost, by default, derives from the sum of
interface costs along the path. OSPF interface cost
defaults to 108/interfaceBandwidth, where
interfaceBandwidth is 1544 or the value of the
interface bandwidth commands (with a value in
kilobits).

>>END SNIP

Any thoughts ?

Phil.