Phil,
Doyle (Routing TCP/IP, volume 1) has a slightly more useful explanation.
In the IGRP chapter (he doesn't dicuss EIGRP metrics much as he just refers
back to the IGRP formula which is the same), he explains "If k5 is set to
0, the [k5/(reliability + k4)] term is not used".  It implies that there
are essentially two different formulae:
[k1*BW + (k2 * BW)/(256-load) + k3 * delay] * [k5/(reliability + k4)] if k5
<> 0, and
[k1*BW + (k2 * BW)/(256-load) + k3 * delay] if k5 = 0.

I agree with you on the maths :-)

JMcL
---------------------- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 16/01/2001

Phil Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@groupstudy.com on 16/01/2001
04:46:09 am

Please respond to Phil Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]