From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Paver, Charles
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 1:15 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: subnetting and tcp/ip

Am studying tcp/ip now, and have a couple of questions (believe me, this is
the basics for you guys!)  Im reading a tutorial on the web, and still am a
little confused.  I need someone to go line by line with me, please!  In
return, Ill give you a cookie :>  Take the following:

1.  I have a network, ip address 130.5.0.0  (why is it 0.0)?  Do all network
#s end in 0?  And for Class B to have the network address, must it be
x.x.0.0?  Cant I have something like 172.5.5.0?  I understand 130, for class
b, but where did they get 5 from?

2.  Next I have the list of ips on my network, per pc (or device).  Such as
:

130.5.32.0
130.5.64.0
130.5.160.0
130.5.224.0

So, are they on the same network or not?  I know that each pc must have its
unique host--I dont want you guys to think Im that basic with this; yes Im
weak, but I do know that with class b its network.network.host.host--> So,
the host id seems to be on the same network while the host is having a
dfferent id.  I just get confused when I read a class B and think, which
parameter has to be changed?  The 3rd octect ONLY or the 4th as well.