IMHO, one should never be shortsighted and think that they'll never be
connected to the internet.  Of course, even if you use RFC1918 addresses and
you end up merging with another company using RFC1918 address, you'll
probably end up renumbering.  But at least start with something that you can
reasonably assume you won't have to change.  Mainly, start with .50.x or
higher for your subnets if you think you'll ever merge with another company.
USE DHCP!  If you need statics, get the MAC address and assign the static
address in the DHCP server.

That way, you have a decent change of not having to renumber, or when you
do, it'll be easier.  Why am I harping on this?  Tonight's project:
re-number 4 sites, all numbered with 192.168.1.0/24 (4 different newspapers
bought by one company).  At least I get to do it all remote from the router
side of things.  All I have to do is remote in, set the DHCP & WINS from
disabled to automatic (I've already configured them all), change the IP
address (good thing NT/2k can handle this on the fly and just let me
reconnect, then reboot for DHCP/WINS service to notice the change).  Then
all the support grunts get to run around to 1000 PCs between all these sites
and change them to DHCP.  I'm sitting in my PJs on my couch, by the way, so
I'm not too grumpy compared to the rest of them.  Of course, being a
newspaper, we can't get started until late tonight.  *sigh*

--
Jason Roysdon, CCNP/CCDP, MCSE, CNA, Network+, A+