The rule to follow about cross-over or straight
cabling confusion is this :

If you are connecting same layer devices, use a
cross-over cable (as in switch to a switch-layer 2 to
layer 2 or a router to a router -layer 3 to layer 3).

If you are connecting devices from different layers,
use a straight cable ( as in connecting a switch to a
router - layer 2 to layer 3 connectivity).

Hopefully this gives you the concept of the cabling
schema.

Regards/Sampath.