On May 3,  7:42pm, Sampy Ren wrote:
}
} The rule to follow about cross-over or straight
} cabling confusion is this :
}
} If you are connecting same layer devices, use a
} cross-over cable (as in switch to a switch-layer 2 to
} layer 2 or a router to a router -layer 3 to layer 3).
}
} If you are connecting devices from different layers,
} use a straight cable ( as in connecting a switch to a
} router - layer 2 to layer 3 connectivity).

     Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!  I thought I had
laid this to rest the last time this thread came up.  This rule is
completely and utterly bogus!  For the simple reason, that a hub is a
layer 1 device and a switch is a layer 2 device, yet you use a
crossover cable to connect them together.  The rule that actually works
is:

hub/swtich to anything else -- use straight through
hub/switch to hub/switch -- use crossover
anything else to anything else -- use crossover

which reduces to when connecting anything to a hub/switch use a straight
through cable, otherwise use a crossover cable.

P.S.  If anybody tries to come up with some kind of wonky argument
saying that a hub (i.e. a simple repeater) is a layer 2 device in order
to justify the bogus layer rule, they will be char broiled (hint:
layer 1 devices deal with signals only, whereas layer 2 devices deal
with frames).

}-- End of excerpt from Sampy Ren