From: Ole Drews Jensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 11:38 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Multicast: Router and Switch locations

Currently reading about Multicast, which I have not any experience with yet.

If you have a small simple LAN with 1 fileserver, 10 workstations and 1
router to the Internet:

INTERNET---[router]---[switch]---[fileserver & 10 workstations]

In order for that fileserver to send multicast data to participating
workstations without changing the topology, I would have to setup the router
with IGMP and CGMP, so the workstation could tell the router that it joined
a group, and the router could then inform the switch with CGMP about that
workstation. The fileserver would now send multicast data and the switch
would know which interface(s) to forward it out to.

Since the server and every workstation has their own connection to the
switch (and hence has their own individual collision domain), would I be
right in assuming that it would not improve the situation to add an
additional router to act like a filter between the switch and the server?

INTERNET---[router]---[switch]---[10 workstations]

                      [router2]

                     [fileserver]

Also, will we see multicasting work without a router or an rsm but only with
a switch in the future (I know that switches don't understand IGMP)?

Thanks,

Ole

 Ole Drews Jensen
 Systems Network Manager