First of all, if I send this twice, excuse me...I am trying out outlook
express and I am not sure it is sending anything...but I have a couple of
questions and comments.

Questions:

 So the only reason vlans are implemented then is for a "type of subnet" that
controls broadcasts from a layer 2 standpoint and for no other reason other
than that.  And the benefits would be  increased bandwidth for the network
since it is a form of broadcast control??  Is that correct?

Routers (layer 3 switches) are only necessary when communication between vlans
is necessary?

And if that is so, routers are unnecessary in this type of network, unless
they are there only for the purpose of connecting different vlans in the same
network.....

I am reading the last sentence you wrote and it is confusing to me.  "VLAN's
that determined membership based on IP address would be a challenging thing to
accomplish."  In school, I did this..at least I think I did..if I understand
you correctly.  When you say based on Ip address, do you mean they are
implemented at router level based on the ip addresses and that is how
membership is determined??  By way of router access lists?  And then routed to
the correct ports of the switch?

Jennifer