You're right, machines on one "vlan" would not be able to reach hosts on the
other side.  Another problem would be connectivity to the router.  If you
had a switch split up into two "vlans" that used the same ip subnet, you
would have to have two links connected to a router to allow them access to
the rest of the network, so you're going to need two different interfaces on
a router.  But since you can't have two different interfaces in the same
subnet, you're up a creek without a paddle.  Of course, you could enable
bridging, but then you've completely negated the purpose of the exercise.

With true VLANs, you would have to renumber the hosts, but then you could
have a single trunk connection to a router with one subnet per VLAN
subinterface.

-John