NetBIOS Extended User Interface (NetBEUI) was IBM's name for the NetBIOS
driver that implements NetBIOS on top of LLC. At the time that IBM came up
with the name they didn't use the term "user interface" as it has come to
be used today. The "user" in this case was an application (not a human).

They also had TokREUI by the way! That was their Token Ring driver.

NetBIOS is an API that implements sessions, naming, etc. It can run on top
of a few different transports:

Over TCP/IP - NetBT
Over IPX - NWLink
Over LLC - NetBEUI