At 02:33 PM 1/23/01, Brian Lodwick wrote:
>   I think the only question that is left unanswered is, if anyone bothered
>to do the math, why does the minimum frame size only increase by a multiple
>of 8 and not 10?
>512 / 64 = 8

Hi Brian,

I hope our conversation isn't like the reserved token on FDDI and we're the
only ones still listening! &;-)

If the IEEE had just been changing the physical diameter, a factor of 10
would have made more sense (especially since wiring specifications are
often in metric). Since they were also changing the number of bits that the
MAC sends, they probably wanted that to be in octets. (That is just a
guess! &;-)

Here's another question. How badly did they affect efficiency by
"enhancing" the CSMA/CD this way?

Does a receiver throw out a frame if the collision happened in the carrier
extension part even though the actual data part arrived without error?
(Yes! It has to because the sender is going to resend and Ethernet can't
deal with duplicate frames.)

And how about all that overhead for small frames? Let's say the next layer
up sends a 512-bit frame. That ends up being a 4096-bit frame with a 64-bit
preamble and 96-bit interframe gap.

Consider an application that is trying to output a bunch of small frames at
a quick rate. If it has to add a bunch of bits to reach 4096, will it be
able to send at the proper rate? When it's done and releases control, some
other application will probably jump in, and the poor small-frame
application has to try to get control again.

Well, they addressed this also. The IEEE standard lets a sender send
multiple frames! According to Rich Seifert in his "Gigabit Ethernet" book,
a station may choose to burst frames if there is a frame in its transmit
queue when it has finished sending its first frame plus extension (if
necessary). It does this without contending again for use of the channel.
During the interframe gap it sends non-data symbols and then sends its next
frame.

But is that fair to other senders? Well, was Ethernet ever fair? It was
fair from an access point of view, but senders of big frames could use a
greater portion of the bandwidth. This new bursting feature makes it fair
from a bandwidth usage point of view. A station can send for up to a
burstLength time (plus one frame) regardless of whether the frames are
short or long. This is a major difference. It's like custom queuing versus
priority queuing.

I'm beginning to think that Gigabit Ethernet is best deployed on a
full-duplex (not shared) link. I get squeamish when I hear about all these
changes to the CSMA/CD that we have known and loved for so long. &;-)

Priscilla