I'm no expert but the explanation from the book Cisco LAN Switching chapter 1 page
11-12 seems logical to me.

Jojo
-----Original Message-----
From:   Tony van Ree [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wed, January 24, 2001 1:11 AM
To:     Priscilla Oppenheimer; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: EASY ?? FOR MOST OF YOU

Hi,

I just glance at some of the discussion.  Here is my two bob's worth.  It is fine to
sit there and say how long it takes a signal to get from one end of a cable to
another.  In the purest thoery both ends happen simultaneously (we all know this is
not true it is on copper about 75% of the speed of light in fibre 90%)  That is one
argument and this would have one believe that one could therefore send 10Meg further
than 100Meg full duplex further than half. (and to a limited degree you could)

We can only have one signal on one wire at one time for various reasons (probably not
true but it is for the theoretical purpose)

Ok,  what happens when we put a pulse on a line.  In a nutshell it is not all to
dissimilar to putting water onto a plate.  The bigger the plate the longer it takes to
fill.  Therefore the longer the cable the longer it will take the remote end to see
the signal reach the full strength.  (Attenuation)

As anyone with tinitus will tell you it is hard to hear in a crowded room.  So it is
with cable (Cross Talk)  the longer the cable the more chance of crosstalk.

I think you will find at 100 Metres there is a good balance of all these things and
therefore the limit.  To get further we could overcome attenuation by sending
stronger.  This would increase crosstalk to neighbours.  Better balancing might work
but this would be costly.

I feel someone has thought about a lot of this.

Just some thoughts and my way of viewing cable lengths,

Teunis
Hobart, Tasmania
Australia

www.tasmail.com