From: Nigel Taylor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 6:45 PM
To: Cisco Group Study; CCIE_Lab Group Study
Cc: Bryant Andrews
Subject: IPX undocumented secrets....

Hi All,
        I've just begun to place a spin on my IPX preparation and I must =
admit things seem a little more confusing now more than ever.  Caslow's =
book gives a lot of very specific information on IPX itself which is =
been helpful but now I'm trying to understand how most of what I'm =
currently looking at comes together to enable IPX as a routing protocol. =
=20

What I'm trying to understand is in creating static SAP entries the =
command is

ipx sap <service type> <name> <network.node> <socket> <hop count>

Now in looking at Caslow's book pg. 499 he list the IPX Socket Numbers =
that direct data encapsulation to the appropriate upper layer protocols =
as follows;

0x451     -   NCP
0x452     -   SAP
0x453     -   RIP=20
0x455     -   NETBIOS
0x456     -   Diagnostic
0x457     -   Serialization
0x4001   -  =20
0x7FFF  -   Client Socket Numbers
0x85BE  -   IPX EIGRP
0x9001   -   NLSP
0x9004   -   IPXWAN
0x9086   -   IPX PING

In listing this I'm trying to understand lab examples where the =
requirement calls for static SAP entries that make use of various IPX =
sockets namely 0x451.  I'm thinking since there's a socket for SAP why =
and how come the other IPX sockets are used in SAP entries....?

Nigel..