The OSI term is "relay." I like that.

A relay that forwards (relays) protocol data units (PDUs) based on
network-layer information is a router. (Let's outlaw terminology that would
say "a device that switches packets based on network-layer information is a
router." It's just too confusing.)

A relay that forwards (relays) PDUs based on data-link-layer information is
a bridge. Modern-day, high-speed, multiple-port bridges are called switches.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get everyone to use this simple
terminology!? &;-)

Priscilla