Ask for the output of a "show version" command. It will tell you which boot
ROMs are in place, IOS version, amount of Flash and DRAM.
The first result is that you know that the router boots.
If you have to add Flash to a router, then it is worth less.
I ask if rack mount brackets are included.
Are a console cable and power cable installed?
AC or DC power supply?
What does the seller charge for shipping?
Be aware that some sellers of used equipment are clueless (or pretend to be)
about providing output. If so, demand a warranty.

Several years ago when Cisco first sold through distribution they came up
with a line of equipment sold as CiscoPro. They were painted with a cream or
light beige color. The software images couldn't be upgraded. Now there is a
utility in the Software Download section of CCO that allows you to
"Cisco-ize" these boxes so that you can load regular IOS. Generally these
boxes sell for less. When buying ask the color. "Is is black or cream?"

Get a written guarantee or warranty that the router is at least not DOA
(Dead on Arrival) and better that you have some number of days in which you
can return it if it doesn't work. A port could be defective.
Go on eBay and do a search on completed auctions. Be specific if you have a
particular model in mind. Maybe Cisco 2501. Look at the prices. Look up some
of the auctions. See if there was anything that made one sell for more or
less such as Flash, DRAM, IOS, new in box, warranty, and etc.
Use eBay or other dealers of used gear. Brad Ellis on this list sells
equipment.
The most difficult part is to get a sense of what is a fair price. ... and
to not go over that. Another will come along. Don't let anyone rush you.
Good luck!