From: Gareth Hinton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2001 6:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cascading Switches

Why cascade them rather than using hub/spoke connectivity?

Gareth
""Maness, Drew"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I've looked through the archives as well as on CCO but could not find a
> definite answer to the limit of "cascading" switches, specifically
catalyst
> 2900's.  I saw the discussion earlier this year/last year that talked
about
> the difference between "cascading" and "stacking".  I'm not looking for
> shared management (stacking) but just how many switches can I cascade
> together to get the highest port concentration. Just a simple (or bad
> network design)of one switch to another to another to N... because I ran
out
> of ports and do not want to by a real switch scenario.... How many can I
> connect?
>
> My first reaction to this question was that it had to be limited by the
CAM
> of each switch but can't find an answer.  Again it is for the 2900 series
> switch.
>
> Thanks
>
> Drew

,

This mail was processed by Mail essentials for Exchange/SMTP,
the email security & management gateway. Mail essentials adds
content checking, email encryption, anti spam, anti virus,
attachment compression, personalised auto responders, archiving
and more to your Microsoft Exchange Server or SMTP mail server.
For more information visit http://www.mailessentials.com