Route-maps are typically used to filter ROUTING PROTOCOL
advertisements either inbound or outboud.  An ACL applied to an
interface specifically instead of a routing protocl process using the
"ip access-group" command with filter the interface traffic.

  For instance (and clarity):

  You can have an ACL assigned to an interface that permits packets
transmitted from the source  10.0.0.0 network ONLY.  Any packet coming
into the interface(ip ACL is applied IN) that has a SA within that
specific network will be permitted, all others dropped..  Now let's
say you have a BGP session with a router at the other end that has an
ip of 10.0.0.2.  You are 10.0.0.1.  If you have a route-map applied to
the interface that is to match the BGP advertisements to an ACL for
permission and that ACL is filtering for 10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/16,
etc,  the router WILL ACCEPT the 192.168.0.0 advertisement for two
reasons:

  1.  Because you are neighboring with a 10.0.0.0 address that is
permitted on the interface ACL
  2.  Because 192.168.0.0 is permitted in the BGP route-map ACL.

 Interface ACL checked first.
 Routing protocol ACL's checked second, third. etc..

 Mas