Charles,

You are right, you would install the Catalyst 1900 by connecting it to the
HP switch with a crossover cable.  I don't know much about HP switches
either but the 1900 runs STP by default.

Here's a configuration link for the 1900.  Watch word
wrap!http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v9x/19
icg9x/19icoutb.htm#xtocid625518

Dave Swink