Just want to put in a couple words on a topic I feel passionate about. If
people are converting copyrighted books to PDF and giving them away or
selling them, that's illegal, unethical, and stupid.

Obviously the publishing industry needs to come up with ways to get books
to people in formats other than paper, at prices that are affordable around
the world, not just in wealthy Silicon Valley. However, the publishing
industry will not be able to innovate if people don't pay for what they
use. Also, as Howard says, authors will stop creating works if they can't
make money on them. So, you're just screwing yourselves when you obtain
illegal copies of books, movies, and yes, even music.

I think the mentality that it's OK to steal comes from young people who
haven't yet created anything. I help out in our local high school in
computer classes. I see the light bulbs go on when I tell my kids, "Ten
years from now, it may be you creating that cool, new game or video or
software application. And you may have spent years and tons of money to
produce it. How will you feel if people steal it instead of paying for it?"

Usually the kids think about that for a while and see my point. One kid
told me, "I'm not going to create anything. I just want to be a computer
technician." That was the saddest thing I've heard.

I think it's good that we use this list every so often to remind people
that some resources are not free.

OK, let's get back to technical stuff now! &;-)

Priscilla