Actually I'm one of the people that would much -prefer- to read a PDF over a
book.  If I purchase a technical book that has the entire text in PDF
format, the only time I actually open the book itself is to get at the CD.

There are obvious piracy problems when the contents of a $50 book are
available as a PDF, which is a little disappointing.  Seeing as I work for a
video game publisher I see quite clearly how damaging piracy is to a
publisher.

Think of some of the heftier Cisco Press books from the CCIE development
series.  I'd gladly pay $60 for a complete PDF I can read anywhere and keep
as reference anywhere instead of paying $60 to have to lug a 20 lb book
around!

Call me crazy, but using a CD-R as opposed to renting a U-haul to transport
my library from home to the office is a bit more appealing.

Just some thoughts,
Brandon