I've been doing a lot of reading on PPP these past few days, and while I think I have
a semi-decent understanding of how it works, I don't quite understand why PPP
authentication would be configured.

Can somebody provide some insight into a practical use, maybe point me to some case
studies or other links?

It's my understanding that it is primarily used on dial-up links, and that makes
sense.  But under what circumstances would it come into use?

Maybe somebody could just send me an example of it's use?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Randy