Quick question - why is out-of-band management via modems not recommended?

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Healis
Newsgroups: groupstudy.cisco
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: case studies using PPP authentication

Some examples that come to mind:
DDR links - these should have authentication so no unauthorized access
is obtained.
Out-of-band management - a modem connected to a console/aux port (though
not recommended)
Session authentication for ISP users - ISP users with dialup or PPPoE

Randy Mueller wrote:

> I've been doing a lot of reading on PPP these past few days, and while I
think I have a semi-decent understanding of how it works, I don't quite
understand why PPP authentication would be configured.

> Can somebody provide some insight into a practical use, maybe point me to
some case studies or other links?

> It's my understanding that it is primarily used on dial-up links, and that
makes sense.  But under what circumstances would it come into use?