SNMP, Simple Network Management Protocol, is exactly that.  Think of it as a
tool set that allows you to get information about traffic, protocol
statistics, errors, etc., from network devices.

To be managed using SNMP, a device must have a SNMP agent running on it.
This agent gathers information about the device and places it into a
database called a MIB, or management information base.  An SNMP manager,
usually another device running SNMP, can query that database to get specific
information.

Just about any aspect of the device can be stored in the MIB.  For instance,
on a Cisco router you could get traffic statistics, the routing table, the
IOS version, the type of router, the amount of free memory, ethernet
statistics and errors, CDP neighbors, etc.  You name it, you can probably
find it.

Every device has its own MIB, so for a manager to be able to query that
device and produce intelligible results, the manager must also have a copy
of the MIB loaded.  As an example, our network management station has MIBs
loaded for a few cisco routers, some cisco switches, bay switches, NT
servers, Novell servers, and a few others.

Another reason this is important is that an SNMP managed device can send
unsolicited information, called a "trap", to the designated manager.  For
the manager to interpret this trap, it must have the appropriate MIB loaded.
These traps can signify any number of events, notably interface state
changes, loss of network connectivity, etc.

That's the simple explanation.  If you need more info, start searching the
web and you should be able to find out more details.

HTH,
John