Hee, hee. This is very funny. As soon as I saw it I said too myself, "this
looks really familiar." These are bullet points in my book, Top-Down
Network Design. The bullets are in the CID class also and are based on
concepts that Howard Berkowitz and Peter Welcher taught me. They might be
in BSCN also because Howard had a big influence on that class also.

However, some clueless person screwed it up! This must be from a COLT test.
&:-)

At 07:50 AM 2/1/01, Hunt Lee wrote:
>I have got the following question, but I don't understand the answer...
>
>When you develop a subent routing scheme, to which guideline must you
>adhere?

The question is supposed to be "When you develop a route summarization
scheme..."

>A)  IP addresses must share the same right-most bits.

They changed left-most to right-most to make this a wrong answer. If IP
addresses share left-most bits, then they can be summarized.

>B)  Routers must base routing decisions on a 16bit or 32bit address

They added 16-bit to make this a wrong answer. It would be right if it
simply said "must base routing decisions on a 32-bit address."

>C)  Routing protocols must carry the prefix length with the 32bit
>address

This one is true (because the question is supposed to be about summarization).

>D)  Routers must base routing decisions on a prefix length that is 16bit
>or 32bit long.

They added 16-bit to make this wrong. Routing must be based on a 32-bit
prefix in case there are host-specific routes. In other words, the router
must look at all 32 bits.

>I thought the answer is C, but the answer is B.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

Priscilla