At 01:53 PM 2/1/01, Fred Danson wrote:
>I dont understand why the answer "C)  Routing protocols must carry the
>prefix length with the 32bit address" doesn't apply to the question of
>"When you develop a subent routing scheme, to which guideline must you adhere?"

"Subnet routing scheme" isn't a technical term. You'll notice that the most
experienced people on the group just scratched their heads when they heard
it. Maybe Cisco has started using the term, but it would be unfortunate if
they were. The technical term for the number of bits that mean network
instead of host is "prefix length." Routing based on prefix length rather
than classes is called classless interdomain routing (CIDR).

CIDR allows routers to group routes together in order to cut down on the
quantity of routing information carried by core routers. With CIDR, several
IP networks appear to networks outside the group as a single, larger
entity. The grouping of routes is also known as summarization, aggregation,
or supernetting.

Somebody at Cisco (and we need to find them and take them out) learned
subnetting and thinks that supernetting is the same thing. I ran into this
before. The e-learning version of Designing Cisco Networks had this problem
too. (I think they pulled that product, I complained so bitterly about it,
though it might have resurfaced. &;-)

Priscilla