Cisco LAN Switching by Clark and Hamilton Cisco Press ISBN 1-57870-094-9
For VLAN 1, BPDUs are sent to the usual Spanning Tree multicast address of
01-80-C2-00-00-00. All switches recognize this address.
For all other VLANs, BPDUs are sent to the multicast address of
01-00-0C-CC-CC-CD. Non Cisco switches do not recognize them and flood them.
They are "tunneled" through regular 802.1Q switches. Cisco switches
recognize them as BPDUs and use them for PVST+.