>a station doesn't send an ARP for a station not on its subnet.
>(There are workarounds to this, such as not configuring a default
>gateway

I don't believe that this is correct.
If there is no route, default or better, to the other (sub)network, then
you'll get something like

    "network unreachable"
or
    "host unreachable"

>or making the default gateway your own address.)

This is the trick that I was talking about -- more specifically, adding
a route to the *particular* (sub)network of the other node, rather than
the disruptive default route.
... and I've actually used it, but, I never thought too deeply about how
it works.

I (the PC with default-to-self) still have to get the packet to the
other node, whose destination IP address is on another IP subnet (even
though we're "on the same wire").

So, ISTM, I have 2 choices:

   1: put the packet out as a local MAC broadcast
or
   2. Do an ARP for the other IP address, even though it's not in my
      logical IP (sub)network.

   (I'm certainly *not* going to ARP for own address (which is now the
    default gateway).
   )
Either choice is non-normal (or, at least, non-familiar :) behavior, so
I'm wondering whether this is defined somewhere in an RFC?
Actually, is this trick discussed *anywhere* ?

OTOH, maybe I'm just being dense and it's not a "trick" at all, but
dunangme if I can figger out how it works :|

Tks          |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BV           |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sr. Tech. Consultant,    SBM
Vox 770-623-3430         11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429         Duluth, GA 30097-1511