i had a somewhat if not entirely similar problem - eigrp preferring the bit
bucket if one of two parallel links is down.
fixed it with a "no auto summmary" i believe, an then i did not spend more
thought
ios version & ip classless settings slipped my memory

well that is all just to say thanks for your post, it had been interesting
for me

--
georg naggies' heim am web