As we all know, when we configure a static IP route, the next hop IP
address should be a host IP address of a directly  connected network  (or an
exit interface number). for example, in Windows NT or Netware  systems, if
your system is connected to, say, network 192.168.50.0/24, and you  try to
add a static IP route, say, 192.168.60.0/24 with a next hop IP address
192.168.53.x. you will get an error message. Am I right?
If you are thinking this will be the same in Cisco IOS, you could be  wrong.
Try to turn on you router (just one router is enough), and leave all you
interface down. Then typing in the following lines

IP route 200.168.1.16 255.255.255.240  192.168.92.65
IP route 192.168.92.0 255.255.255.255  192.168.1.65
IP route  192.168.1.64  255.255.255.240   Null 0

Note that, none of the router's interface is connected to any of the network
numbers shown in the configuration (of course, except the null 0 interface).

Now try a 'show IP route'. You will get the following lines

s 200.168.1.16/28 via 192.168.92.65
s 192.168.92.0/24 via 192.168.1.65
s 192.168.1.64/28 is directly connected, null0

This experiment approved that IOS will keep a static route in its routing
table as long as it thinks there is a 'live' path to that network, even that
'live' path will lead to a dead null interface. and it really does  not care
where the next hop IP address is located in the entire network as long  as
that hop is 'reachable' according to its own routing table.

Is this a good thing, bad thing or an  IOS Bug???

However, this explains John's problem very well. Even when the PVC is down
the route entry
'S 10.50.1.1 255.255.255.255 via 10.1.1.2'
will be still in routing table, because the next hop address 10.1.1.2 is
still reachable via
'S 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 is directly connected Null0'

Could anyone explain how John's problem would be fixed without turning off
'IP classless' and still keep the
'IP route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 Null0' entry in the routing table?

JZ