Humm...

Interesting comparison! I guess I have always known the similarities, but
never really thought about it before.

I was in TaeKwon-Do (TKD) for about 15 years, thought class for much of that
time. When I was coming up thru the colored ranks, I felt very sure of my
knowledge/skills, the closer I got the black belt the more confident I was.
But when I got the "big goal", it was anti-climatic in the long run. Sure it
felt great for a few months, then the realization that I really didn't know
S$%^T, and at best could only be considered a master of basics... well lets
just say it was very humbling ;-) Eventually I retired from TKD, I was
pushed more and more into a "management" role, which is not what I sought.

I think now that I have taken some time to compare the CCIE R/S to the TKD
black belt I feel much better about the whole certification ordeal. With TKD
I finally came to place where I was very comfortable with my skills and the
road that lay ahead, if I had not been pushed into a management role I would
likely still be practicing. With CCIE it will be very similar, with the
exception that I will have the power to stay hands on. Don't get me wrong, I
enjoy the leadership/mentor role, what I hate is when the leadership/mentor
role becomes the whole job.

I feel much better, I have traveled this road before, know the pitfalls and
rewards. Thanks very much for bringing this little comparison to light!

--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE+I

""Circusnuts"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
040d01c08e9c$d543b300$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:040d01c08e9c$d543b300$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <<< What do you consider a paper CCIE? >>>
>
> Weak knowledge of commands & hardware (must always research topic).
> Inability to trouble shoot effectively (must always research topic)
> Always avoiding technical leadership roles
> Other CCIE's generally don't include their opinion
> & they have no history of staying @ any one job for more than say 6 or 8
> months.
>
> In general- these are the characteristics of a person who is over their
head
> (just like any of us have the potential to be).  Their are people who are
> passing the CCIE lab on sheer "will" (I'm gonna pass if it's the last
thing
> I do) .  Ask any active black belt, obtaining that status is only cool for
> short period of time.  When you pass such a crucial mark (among your
peers)
> you have graduated to a point to be counted on & heard.  If the "journey"
is
> all you know & expected, then this kind of success is a scary thing (@
least
> for a couple of years :-)
>
> .02
> Phil
>
> PS- Please don't misunderstand me, I still admire those who have completed
> the process...

<--Snip-->