I support allot of customers with dedicated t1's and using isdn dialup
backup. I have had some customers that want to test the dialup backup
without taking the serial link down. I have noticed that on version 12.0 of
the IOS you can take the dial backup command off the interface and ping the
other side of the isdn link and make it come up and dial, this is great for
not having a customer experience any down time. Well I was working on a 1720
on Friday with IOS 12.1 and this does not work. You actually have to take
the serial link down to make the isdn dial. This is very inconvenient when
you are setting up a new customer and you do not know if the isdn line is in
place. Especially when setting up customers in Texas it seems like it takes
an act of god to have someone at the phone company give you the right spids.
I guess my question is this, does anyone know if this was a feature Cisco
had in IOS 12.0 and removed it from later versions or if this was a bug in
the 12.0 IOS. I have another engineer at work that swares it is a bug to be
able to take the dial backup command off and make the link dial up.

Any ideas?
Or any other ways I am overlooking in making the backup link come up without
having to take a customer down?

Elijah