From: Miller, Nathan - BSC [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 9:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Spanning Tree Question - Root Port Selection

I have been looking for a while for further documentation of the process by
which a switch selects its root port.  Most of the books that I have
searched for this information say something similar to the following quote
from a CCO page: "A bridge's root port is the port through which the root
bridge can be reached with the least aggregate path cost, a value that is
called the root path cost."  My problem is that they all seem to stop there.
My question is this.  If the root path cost is the same on multiple switch
ports, how does STA determine which is the root port?  Does it follow the
same course as it would when selecting a designated port (root bridge, root
path cost, sender ID, sender port).
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Nathan Miller